Anyone using CCleaner?

Theres a reg cleaner in avast ????????? it must be a pay to use deal ?????
I ran avast for 2 years without a fire wall, :eek::eek:
however, I use "Startpage" proxy every where i go, so everything I look at is washed first at start page*****, if i even give permission to down load cookies at a site, they go get lost in space.

With jet clean i check every single box to get vacumed
never a problem.

****** STARTPAGE
proxy works everywhere except log on sites and ebay.
I don't use amazon cause my state has nothing left but a few beat up stop signs from lost tax revenue to amazon.

Strange as it is for me to say, I had no clue about 'anonymous view' in startpage search engine. I saw it before, but never looked into it...til now. Many thanks for mentioning it. I have begun weening myself off LilBro (Google) and have been using gibiru, yippy, and qwant. Startpage now goes to the top of the list!

They could be hiding anything in this freeware.
You takes yer chances anytime you install any of it.
That being said I haven´t heard any tales of woe regarding CCleaner in a whole bunch of years.
I even flushed some cash down the toilette and tried the ¨professional¨ version.
Admitting that is a lot like having my I.Q. stencilled on my t-shirt.:D

Unfortunately our old standby and friend over the years CCleaner is now nothing but a nuisance and an annoying parasite doing things without permission just like malware does.
When Avast acquired it I knew the end was near.

Tried using old versions ... they won't run on my W10 rigs.
I'll just use the in tow windows cleaner utility on my windows machines.
I'm pretty well switched over to Linux now for my production computers.

The old CCleaner versions do run on XP.

Only the new "garbage" Avast CCleaner versions run on w10.

Another good reason to stick with XP as long as possible.

Many (including me) have washed their hands of the whole Microsoft/windows scene and slid over to Linux.

I do maintain one XP machine.

XP is the best Microsoft O/S of all times hands down.

Strange as it is for me to say, I had no clue about 'anonymous view' in startpage search engine. I saw it before, but never looked into it...til now. Many thanks for mentioning it.

yes and takes 4 seconds to make your home page search page
go any where on net, and zero data collection, AND THINK ABOUT IT, DO YOU WANT SOME RADIO ACTIVE GEEK, with a psych Degree from the university of
"UPPER HUMPERDUNK" compiling a Buying Profile on you. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
EBAY suggest I buy the "Saturday Night Fever" sound track all the time.
Which makes no sense since I only listen to BANDS LIKE

ALICE COOPER
DEATH TO KITTENS
WE EAT SPIDERS
OH CRAP, I GOT NO MORE ROOM FOR TATTOO'S

Last edited:
yes and takes 4 seconds to make your home page search page
go any where on net, and zero data collection, AND THINK ABOUT IT, DO YOU WANT SOME RADIO ACTIVE GEEK, with a psych Degree from the university of
"UPPER HUMPERDUNK" compiling a Buying Profile on you. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
EBAY suggest I buy the "Saturday Night Fever" sound track all the time.
Which makes no sense since I only listen to BANDS LIKE

ALICE COOPER
DEATH TO KITTENS
WE EAT SPIDERS
OH CRAP, I GOT NO MORE ROOM FOR TATTOO'S

It works good til you need to log-in somewhere, then that is usually a no-go, but for general internet exploration it's a wonderful thing. I didn't make 'anonymous view' my search page, but did switch from duckduckgo to startpage.

Thanks trimis. I've never heard of BleachBit so I'm gonna try it.

Under Bleachbit 1.7, I have every box checked except these:

DEEP SCAN:
.DX store
Backup files
Thumbs.db

SYSTEM:
Clipboard
Custom
Free Disk Space
Logs
Memory Dump
Prefetch
Temporary files
Update uninststallers

VLC MRDIA PLAYER
Most recently used

WINDOWS EXPLORER:
Recent documents list
Run
Thumbnails

I have been running BleachBit set like this nearly every night before turning off PC, so after about a year with no problem I think it's safe. You will need to stop BleachBit from playing ET and phoning home, or it will upgrade itself. I blocked it from having internet access via my Outpost Firewall 2009.

it's a wonderful thing. I didn't make 'anonymous view' my search page,

anonymous view is for viewing sites you don't log into, which most all for me.
GET NO SCRIPT for site you log into but want to reduce data collected.
ghostery--is good also.

Self Destructing Cookie, will delete cookies the moment you leave a page.

Last edited:
Been hearing it can damage XP if not set properly. Anyone know which choices to leave unticked/unchecked? I have left all of 'Windows Explorer' unchecked, in 'System' I left all from DNS cache down unchecked, and all the 'Advanced' options unchecked....but I'd like to do as thorough a cleaning as possible. Can any of those I left unchecked be safely added?

This is the most re-saddled house over again post i see every where.
LIFE'S TOO SHORT, ya know, get jet clean click all the boxes, then its "One Click"
and it cleans and closes, like a MAC product
zero issues on my XP, also its a "Lite Cleaner" so its not hard on your hard drive
like CC cleaner

Last edited:
I' m very pleased that i enjoy the forum, I greet all the members, my first post,
Yes i using CCleaner regularly, does what I need, thoroughly cleans all temporary files and removes junk files from uninstalled programs

I' m very pleased that i enjoy the forum, I greet all the members, my first post,
Yes i using CCleaner regularly, does what I need, thoroughly cleans all temporary files and removes junk files from uninstalled programs
Welcome to the forum. What is your Operating System. Is it XP? :cool:

Back