Won’t let me log in to the built in administrator account

I had this old pc lying around I booted it up after many years
There’s only 1 account which is limited I basically can’t do much without admin privileges
I have tried literally everything to log on as administrator but I get this annoying error
could anyone please solve this problem I have been trying to solve this for almost two days now and it’s eating my head
Done rebooting the pc in safe boot but this error keeps showing up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 94
hi there
have you tried just leaving it blank and just press enter? this some times works was it a network server ? ask its asking for domain account? have you checked to see if anything is loose ,ie memory sticks ,plugs to drives and was it working when last used,

best bet would be to reboot xp there are plenty of full updated disk about now days most have the keys included,gl

hi there
have you tried just leaving it blank and just press enter? this some times works was it a network server ? ask its asking for domain account? have you checked to see if anything is loose ,ie memory sticks ,plugs to drives and was it working when last used,

best bet would be to reboot xp there are plenty of full updated disk about now days most have the keys included,gl
That was the first thing I tried lmao I can log onto the limited account which was created years ago everything works in that limited account except admin stuff
But i just can’t log into admin even in safe mode
It’s not a network server but it asks for its domain
Moreover it’s a built in admin account which doesn’t work

open the case, AFTER turning turning pc off and unplugging from the wall, touch the case to discharge any static on your hand and pull the CMOS battery, leave out for approx 5 minutes, also there might be a jumper panel, very small, pull the jumper and then replace along with the cmos battery, this will undo any passwords, from that error it looks like it was not an original pc to you, and you might want to do a reinstall so that only what you want is on there.

if you are not sure about the insides of your pc, look online for a manual for your pc.

I
open the case, AFTER turning turning pc off and unplugging from the wall, touch the case to discharge any static on your hand and pull the CMOS battery, leave out for approx 5 minutes, also there might be a jumper panel, very small, pull the jumper and then replace along with the cmos battery, this will undo any passwords, from that error it looks like it was not an original pc to you, and you might want to do a reinstall so that only what you want is on there.

if you are not sure about the insides of your pc, look online for a manual for your pc.
thought the CMOS method only resets bios passwords
does it clear the password present in the os as well ?

Last edited:
I

thought the CMOS method only resets bios passwords
does it clear the password present in the os as well ?
No it will not. This is really bad advice as it may mess up bios settings for the hard drive and keep xp from even booting. Don't do it.

There is a program out there that will reset/display windows passwords. It runs under linux and there is a bootable cd of it. I can't remember the name of it atm, but I've used it before when I forgot my windows server password on one of my servers.

I looked at my notes and it was the trinity rescue kit and the winpass program that's a part of it:
https://trinityhome.org/3922-2_winpass_and_regedit/

I'm not sure if this is exactly what I used, but it sounds familiar and like it can do the job. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back