Well, I'm finally back!

My Optiplex 755 died near end of November, and its taken this long to get a replacement, have it modified, and get it online. So many setbacks, I was beginning to think conspiracy theory, and I'd never have a home PC again.

Anyway, I have a better PC (Dell Optiplex 960). Previous Optiplex 755 hard drive was a total loss, so slowly starting over from square one. I'll be trying to make this PC as good as my previous one by getting the same software, and setting it up the same....and trying to make this one better, by actually installing MX Linux on a SSD. I found a new mobile rack that allows one to install an SSD and a HDD in one 5.25 bay, so the former will be for Linux, and the latter for yearly bare-metal backup of XP Pro.

I'll also be trying to catch up here. I assume when I went offline, I left some hanging, so I'll be looking around for any unanswered questions or replies, though it wouldn't hurt to remind me.

I started out with a Dell OptiPlex 755 and then eventually moved to a faster Dell OptiPlex 780 and then eventually moved to an even faster Dell OptiPlex 980 to run Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit.

Windows XP is completely up-to-date to May 2019 with post-EOL security updates and is using 2 browsers that are regularly updated and work fine with almost all websites:
Feodor2 MyPal 28.9.0
Maxthon Cloud Browser 5.3.8.2000

Windows XP is used only for testing purposes, so I go on-line with it only 1 - 2 times a month.

Most of the apps that I like to use in Windows 7 and Windows 10 no longer work in Windows XP, so I don't know how much longer I'll be testing it.

I started out with a Dell OptiPlex 755 and then eventually moved to a faster Dell OptiPlex 780 and then eventually moved to an even faster Dell OptiPlex 980 to run Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit.

Windows XP is completely up-to-date to May 2019 with post-EOL security updates and is using 2 browsers that are regularly updated and work fine with almost all websites:
Feodor2 MyPal 28.9.0
Maxthon Cloud Browser 5.3.8.2000

Windows XP is used only for testing purposes, so I go on-line with it only 1 - 2 times a month.

Most of the apps that I like to use in Windows 7 and Windows 10 no longer work in Windows XP, so I don't know how much longer I'll be testing it.

Any way to tell if the CA security certificates store embedded in XP Pro is up to date, and if not, update them? I know M$ is still updating some stuff, as I am getting new KBs downloaded often (thinking of turning off the update service!).

Back