Restore short file names and spaces in names fix ~1

Hey folks. I have a heavily gutted customized XP that runs great but I cleaned it too much over the years and it no longer supports short file naming and spaces in the file names at certain levels. Does anyone remember the tricks or framework responsible for this so I can correct it.

what is happening now is if I try to open a file through explorer associations it will not work because the file is usually in My Documents or Program Files and the spaces throw it off. So I get errors like can not find C:\documents .. obviously because the rest after the space is missing but launching the same files in root of C: or single folder like c:\files works .. ~1 stopped working so I can't use Progra~1 etc.. I open the program and try to open the file through open it works which means it's mostly a explorer / windows type problem.

NtfsDisable8dot3 ... have registry settings for file name creation

I have attached 3 reg files that have this in their name

Attachments

• file 3.zip
    1 KB · Views: 78
Thanks but no luck. That's actually the same reg three times under different control set but I checked them and mine are the same. I can launch a file from anywhere but only one file, multiple files fail and more importantly the command line in the background is broken so I can't compile things, use bat files, etcc.

C:\>cd Docum~1
Invalid directory

C:\>cd Docume~1
Invalid directory

C:\>cd Documen~1
Invalid directory

C:\>cd Documents and Settings
Too many parameters - and

C:\>

File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "C:\Documents".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///C:/Documents'. Check the log for details.
File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\home\vids\and".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/default/Desktop/home/vids'. Check the log for details.
File reading failed:

did vlc open the files before?

have you uninstalled and then reinstalled vlc

it will be hard to really help as you said you have a very customized os

VLC wouldn't be the problem because all programs behave this way. VLC will open a movie but when it comes to opening a folder, which I assume is through shell it gives that error, but like I said everything is suffering from this and yes it did work at one point.

If you add a new file type, choose folder, call it VLC DIR or whatever and point it to VLC it will open the folder as a playlist and start playing all movies or songs in that folder. same as file->open folder but without going through the menu but now it's broken.

VLC is a minor issue. I just had to run a bat file for C++ and took days of manually editing the links because everything broke when it looked for C:\Program Files\Borland\etccc ... as usual giving the error file does not exist C:\Program .. I fixed it by quoting some links but that also broke other areas like arguments, some I had to move to lone folders like C:\abc so it can find and input or output as needed. It worked in the end but it was hell and I had duplicate exe and other files in many folders so it didn't break.

Back