Non-technical way to wipe the C Drive in XP Pro

Hi Peeps ~

So I want to give away a 12-yr old Micro Express laptop that runs XP Pro. I've manually deleted all docs, pictures, etc., but my super limited understanding is that this manual deletion doesn't really actually delete the data. When I googled how to wipe the C drive (not some subsidiary partitioned drive), the online articles are very lengthy and get far more technical than my accountant's brain can absorb.

Something, something download data erasure s/w to USB, followed by something, something additional s/w to read an ISO file. Each step seems to involve another step with another link to another site. It's like peeling the layers of an infinite cosmic onion.

Are there are gearheads out there who have a reasonably non-ultra techie methodology for wiping the C Drive in less than 12 steps?

Thanks in advance!

~ Januaria

Are there are gearheads out there who have a reasonably non-ultra techie methodology for wiping the C Drive in less than 12 steps?
If creating a bootable CD/DVD or USB is complicated then honestly the easiest method for wiping data from a hard drive for non-ultra techies is to find a techie friend who can do it for you.

If creating a bootable CD/DVD or USB is complicated then honestly the easiest method for wiping data from a hard drive for non-ultra techies is to find a techie friend who can do it for you.

Hi Clippy ~

Most of the articles are a bit more involved that creating bootable external media. Apparently ISO files are not your garden variety files and require special handling.

I think your suggestion about getting a techie friend to wipe the drive is the best suggestion.

Hi All ~

Just wanted to say that i took your advice, researched it, and downloaded and ran dBan. Took SIX hrs to wipe that old laptop, but now it's clean so it can be donated.

TYVM!

Back