Is This Even Possible

A little background on my setup, I just set up an old XP machine I drug out of storage to use to sit beside the TV in order to stream NetFlix, since there isn't a good Netflix app for Linux. What I would like to do is, we have an external HDD that everyone uses to backup their pc's, I would like to
1. Connect it to a rear port on the XP machine, and leave it plugged in
2. Find a way to put that port in sleep mode, unless accessed through the home network
3. This will allow everyone to continue using the EHDD for backups, without having to hunt it down every time. Yet it won't be running 24/7.

Is there anyway in XP (I haven't used XP since the beta trials of 7 first came out), to put a specific port in sleep mode, or cut the power to that specific port, unless there is a network call for that device, sort of a WOL, idea just for a USB port instead of the whole computer? I know it's possible in Linux to do this through a command line instruction using the ID number of the port and attachment. I had that working, just couldn't get a stable connection to Netflix.

Does anyone have any suggestions, a downloaded installed program, a command line procedure, or something else? Not bashing windows or anything when I mention Linux, just a personal preference I've discovered since 7 was released. As I said, I was in the first group of people allowed to officially test the Alpha and Beta releases of 7, I do like Windows, at least 2000, XP and 7, not a big fan of Vista, even though it wasn't as bad as it's made out to be, I never had a problem with it anyway. Not going to even look at 8, seen it, played with it, refuse to use it. I can't wait for 9 to come out and see what it looks like. I just found I like typing commands instead of point and click, I'm a nerd like that lol.

I have searched on google for the last hour and cannot find anything on your issue. Pretty frustrating, but if google has nothing, then chances are this is not possible. But maybe someone else can help. Good Luck! :)

==

Back