How to make installed xp on drive D bootable

i have a hard. on drive C i have windows 98 and on drive D i have windows xp. i have an image backup from two drives but i want restore windows xp image on a new hard on drive C without windows 98 and make it bootable because it is not bootable and it dose not work. image will be restored but dose not work probably. does anyone know how can i fix it??? i have to keep away my softwares from changes.

if you have an image, you can just restore the image to a blank drive and it will become c:, or is the image of both 98 and xp? It must be bootable now if you can boot to either 98 or xp?

You may have lost XP's MBR if you had it in a dual boot arrangement with 98.

You recover this by running an XP installation (or rescue) disk.

Select the option to repair/rescue rather than option to install. (sometimes called repair console)

At the command prompt, enter, in turn the following:

bootcfg /rebuild

fixboot
fixmbr

when someone has 2 windows on one hard disk like me (on C windows 98 and on D windows xp), all system files like boot.ini and ntldr and ntdetect and autoexebat and ... are on drive c. when you have an image from them and you want restore just windows xp on a new hard and use windows xp alone on drive C, the problem is that there are no system files on drive D. and this faces you with some problems and errors. does anyone know about how to configure the system files on restored OS and even how to create them and then configure them too???!!!

I have several comps with 'MSI' motherboards. On these I can press F-11 key for a one time setting of boot order (C:\ - D:\ - E:\ - etc - shows usb drive, list of attached hdds, make/model of cd/dvd drive - no actual drive letters) Off & on again, back to bios settings.
'DELETE' goes to bios, there I can set whichever/whatever location (usb - hdd - cdrom) to Always boot from.

Would this work for you? Or am I missing something?

-c-

edit: this works for me with XP-32, XP-64, ubuntu, Mint, etc. never tried same os on 2 diff hdds. <-whats the point?
I dont normally do this 'cause all drives are accessable by whichever os hdd I booted from.

I have three 'hot swappable' drive bays, I have [after booting] powered up same os hdd = maybe E or F or etc & copy/move files at sata speeds, or replace corrupted system files {the ones that dont ever get modified by os}

Last edited:
Back