Any suggestions for an e-mail program?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Ohiostar, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

I just had a hard disk replaced and a clean install of XP. I had been using Eudora 4 fully paid happily for years on the old drive, but not now.

it’s XP Pro, 64 bit SP3, just like the previous. I receive fine, My issue is with sending - I can’t. It’s usually a 530 error regarding SMTP authentication. My ISP provides requirements of outgoing mail using a specific port (587) and encryption (STARTTLS). My problem is that neither my Eudora 4, or the Eudora 7 I downloaded, or the Outlook Express that came with the install appear to have any options for specifying a port or encryption method. My ISP bluntly told me ‘older programs won’t work’ with their requirements’ and refuse any help on ‘unsupported systems’. It’s not the end of the world, I don’t really need e-mail on this machine, but would be convenient. Any ideas for a e-mail that might work?

Ohiostar, Apr 4, 2024
  2. Ohiostar

Elizabeth23

I have been using yahoo mail for many many years, knock on wood so far no problems

Elizabeth23, Apr 4, 2024
    Mr Siamese Cat likes this.
  3. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

I
    Yes, but that’s web based, right? I just find the interface for web based e-mails to be less functional for me for several reasons, I was hoping there would still be a client program out there. Thanks, though!

Ohiostar, Apr 4, 2024
  4. Ohiostar

rereser

rereser, Apr 5, 2024
  5. Ohiostar

Mr Siamese Cat

This is how to solve your problem. I give comprehensive and detailed instructions and most importantly reasons.

There are lots of Email Clients. The main one throughout the Western World is Outlook. It is not very good, because of the way it stores files in a monolithic PST file.

The best Email Client in my humble opinion if one uses Windows XP as one of their machines, is Mozilla Thunderbird. The reason being one can install it and use it on Windows XP right up to Windows 11. One can either take all the files and copy to another machine or just take a particular folder as Mozilla Thunderbird is not entirely Monolithic.

On XP

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\1pu4wrmd.default\Mail\Local

On Windows 10

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\iqpk43j2.default-release\Mail\Local

So Now: Download and install Mozilla Thunderbird

Use the following settings: I have also provided many screen shots to help you and anyone else.

This will slightly vary depending on the email provider you use.

This is for Hotmail.com (As I have had the same email account for over 25 years)

Outgoing Server smtp.office365.com (Port 587)

POP Mail Server Outlook.office365.com (Port 995)

I provide screen shots of the firewall settings you need. And the ports you need to open to get Email to work on a POP server. I have blacked out my actual email for security reasons.

I suggest the word processor application that is best is Corel Word Perfect X7 as this is the last one to work on XP and is without doubt the best word processor application.

It has taken me well over an hour to put all these screen shots, photo’s and instructions together for you. Before I retired with cancer I was paid about £200 per hour, or $300 in the Colonies Monopoly money. However I am a simple creature and a pat on the head (That’s a Like from you) is all I require.

I note that Madeleine, ClippyBeer and Elizabeth have all extensively helped you. I am sure they would appreciate likes too, for all their help.

Short Cut to Where everything is stored on XP.jpg ShortCut to where everything is stored on Windows 10.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg Email Windows 10.jpg Email XP.jpg Firewall settings.jpg XP and Windows 10 Running together..jpg

Mr Siamese Cat, Apr 5, 2024
    Ohiostar, Elizabeth23 and cornemuse like this.
  6. Ohiostar

ImWolf

I have been using Eudora 6.2.3.4 forever, and the settings do allow for designating Port & Encryption you describe. This version is also completely portable with all files in a single directory. Depending on how much changed in the mean time, you may even be able to import your MBX and TOC files directly into the newer version?

ImWolf, Apr 12, 2024
  7. Ohiostar

Kahilia

Another XP-compatible client is MailNews.

Kahilia, Apr 13, 2024
Ask a Question